I LOVE PIZZA!
But being sensitive to gluten, we make a lot of the pizzas we consume at home. It's probably one of the things boyfriend is most excited to know how to make, and I taught him how to make pizzas less than two years ago!
We've experimented with a few recipes, but I am going to show you my favorite we've discovered so far. This pizza is light, filling, and reminds me of summer. I love summer foods, you could say this is a summer salad on pizza crust.
I found this recipe in Fitness Magazine, I get the print copy and the digital copy since we tear out pages and I like to reference the whole magazine sometimes.
Strawberry-Bacon Pizza Recipe Source: http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipe/strawberry-bacon-pizza/
Image source: http://images.meredith.com/fitness/images/recipe/l_RU203260.jpg
Makes: 4 servings Prep 20 mins Cook 30 mins
- 5 slices bacon
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2-4.4ounces whole-grain naan (such as Stonefire) or one 12-inch whole wheat pizza crust
- 3 ounces goat cheese, crumbled (about 3/4 cup)
- 1.5 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1.5 cups baby arugula or baby spinach
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees if using naan or 450 degrees if using pizza crust. Lay bacon in a small skillet and cook over medium-high heat until crisp, 5 to 7 minutes, turning once. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to drain. Let cool slightly, then crumble.
- Meanwhile, bring vinegar to a boil over medium-high heat in a small nonstick saucepan. Reduce heat to low and simmer until reduced by half, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in honey. Return to heat and simmer 3 minutes more; set aside.
- Top naan or pizza crust with goat cheese, strawberries and bacon.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Top pizza with arugula or spinach and, if desired, basil; drizzle with 2 tablespoons balsamic sauce.
- Boyfriend makes the crust from Bisquick® Gluten Free® Baking Mix.
- We use a bit more strawberries, we just eye ball it especially if they're not sweet or are really tasty.
- We use frozen Kale, we cook it then squeeze out the water.
- We add a drizzle of honey to the pizza just before cutting, we like honey.
Have you ever made pizza from scratch? If so, what are your favorite toppings? Share your recipes! We love creating new dishes at home and adding them to our library. Copy the link into the comments. Who knows, if I get enough, I'll do a recipe share blog.